I had a quite a few leeks from my vegbox and didn’t really know what to do with them. Searching my riverford ‘bible’, I came across the recipe Quick Italian Leek Salad, which you can also find online at:
Its an okay recipe, good as a side dish. I didn’t add parmasan, which would make it creamer in the way leeks really work with cheese. It does taste nicer than it looks though.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ red onion (or shallot), finely chopped
- 10 basil leaves, shredded
- salt, pepper + a pinch of caster sugar
- 4-6 leeks
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- shavings of parmesan*
- Mix the oil, vinegar, onion, basil and sugar together and season to make the dressing.
- Trim the leeks and cut down the centre lengthways then wash well. Slice diagonally into 3-4cm pieces.
- Blanch in boiling salted water for about 3 mins. Drain well and place in a shallow serving dish – drizzle with the dressing and mix well.
- This can now be served warm topped with the parsley and parmesan – or later, chilled.
cooking time 5 mins
- A Bowl Full of Leeks (teabreak.pk)