There was not much I could do with what’s in the vegbox (mushrooms, onions, pak choi) given I forgot to bring home some tofu to make a stir fry. Plan B for tonight’s dinner came about rooting through the cupboards when I came across a can of Cannellini Beans.
- 2 cans beans (I used 1 can Cannellini beans and 1 can broad beans but you can use 2 cans of Cannellini beans)
- 1 onion
- 1 sage leaf
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 sprigs oregano
- freshly ground black pepper
- third of cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable broth (i used a cube and 1 cup hot water)
- 2 slices stale bread (should be Tuscan but i used my seed bread from earlier in the week)
- half clove garlic, peeled
Drain the beans.
Use a food processor to blend together half of the beans, the onion, herbs, pepper and olive oil.
Pour the result into a heavy saucepan and add the vegetable broth.
Bring this to the boil and simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
Stir in the remaining beans and simmer for 10 mins
Toast the bread and rub it with the garlic.
Place the bread at the bottom of the soup bowls and pour the soup over the bread.