Raymond Blanc’s Kitchen Secrets is a favorite programme of mine. I really wanted to make something from this series and settled on the Lemon Cake, its one of the easier recipes featured on the programme. Kitchen Secrets is a wonderful series, Blanc demonstrates very well key techniques in cooking and baking that make quite a difference, so even if you don’t feel like tackling any of the recipes, you still will definitely learn better skills.
Here is the link to the recipe at bbc.co.uk: www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lemon_cake_29430
Here is a PDF print version:http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lemon_cake_29430.pdf
Equipment and preparation: You will need a 26cm x 9cm x 8cm/10in x 3½in x 3in loaf tin.
- For the cake
- For the apricot jam glaze
- 3 tbsp apricot jam, warmed in a small saucepan
- For the lemon glaze
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Lightly butter a 26cm x 9cm x 8cm/10in x 3½in x 3in loaf tin and line it with greaseproof paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, cream, lemon zest, rum, salt and butter.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a separate bowl then whisk it into the egg mixture until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes, turning halfway through cooking. The cake is cooked when a knife blade inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the tin, turn onto a cooling rack and leave to cool for 10 minutes. This will allow the steam to escape before you glaze the cake. Leave the oven turned on.
- Brush the cake with the warmed apricot glaze and leave for five minutes while you make the lemon glaze.
- For the lemon glaze, mix together the lemon juice, zest and icing sugar.
- Heat the mixture in a small pan, or in the microwave, until the sugar has dissolved and you have a syrup.
- Brush the lemon glaze all over the cake and leave for a few minutes to set.
- Place the glazed cake in the oven on a baking tray, turn off the heat and leave for 3-5 minutes to dry the glaze and turn it translucent.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool to room temperature before serving.