I was quite excited to get some asparagus in my vegbox this week. It’s asparagus season and apparently it doesn’t last very long. I found a really simple and tasty recipe (courtesy of Phil Vickery). Seeing as I also had mushrooms in the vegbox this week I added them to this recipe that only takes 30 mins to make. I didn’t have any parmesan so used cheddar instead. This version of the recipe serves 2.
- For the risotto
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 100g/7oz risotto rice (eg carnaroli or arborio)
- 150ml/9fl oz white wine
- 300ml/18fl oz hot vegetable stock
- 4 asparagus spears, blanched, chopped
- 4 mushrooms, chopped
- 25g/1oz unsalted butter
g/2¾oz parmesan, cheddar grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the risotto, heat the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the shallot and garlic until softened but not coloured.
- Add the rice and fry for one minute, stirring frequently, until coated in the oil.
- Add the wine and simmer until absorbed by the rice.
- Add the hot vegetable stock a ladleful at a time, stirring between each addition to allow the liquid to be completely absorbed, until the rice is cooked and all the stock has been absorbed.
- Add the chopped mushrooms.
- Add the asparagus, butter and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir well.
- Sprinkle grated cheddar on the top and fold in once.
- To serve, divide the risotto equally among two serving dishes.
To see the recipe minus the mushrooms and with parmesan, go here. Goes very well with a glass of white wine.