I adapted the recipe from http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/630749 to include 2 apples and 2 pears which I had from my vegbox.
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 150 g caster sugar
- 50 g butter, cut into small chunks, plus extra for greasing
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 3 tbsp full fat milk
- 150 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinches salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Williams pears
- 2 Apples
- 4 tbsp apricot jam, to glaze (optional)
- 400 g mascarpone, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Line the base of a 25cm cake tin with greaseproof paper and lightly grease with butter.
2. In a bowl, beat the eggs, egg yolk, sugar, butter and honey together until light and fluffy. Gradually add the milk, beating well and then sift in the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the vanilla extract and carefully fold in all the ingredients.
3. Core and finely chop 1 of the pears and 1 of the apples, stir them into the mixture.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin, core and thinly slice the remaining pears and apples and arrange them on top of the mixture.
5. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the cake has risen and is golden-brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin on top of a wire rack. Turn the cake out onto a cake dish.
6. If you want to glaze the cake, make up the glaze by diluting the jam with a splash of water in a small pan over a low heat. Stir until smooth, strain the glaze through a metal sieve into a clean bowl and brush it over the top of the cake. Serve in slices with mascarpone.
- Pear and Mascarpone Pizza (savorysaltysweet.com)
- Pear Cake for someone special! (chanteusedesigns.wordpress.com)