We’ve harvested our first batch of spinach and radishes, which are doing very well in the growboxes.
The internet is a great source of wisdom when it comes to showing us what we need to do.
SPINACH TIPS (see video link)
- Key points are: use a sharp knife
- cut near the base of the stem, angled
- focus on the outer leaves
- leave at lease 1/4 of the plant left to continue growing
- cut off any diseased leaves
- Remove any flower developments
- Well known for being the fastest and easiest crop to grow
- Can be sown in late summer for a fall crop
- Need loose soil
- Can sow every two weeks
- Can mix seeds with slow going crops such as carrots to mark the row
- Harvest when the size of a marble, otherwise they become pithy and hot
- Soak radishes in ice water for a could of hours before serving to get that crispness
Next, we need to help our tomatoes along.