- 500g fresh beetroot
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- knob of butter
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove , finely chopped
- 250g risotto rice
- 150ml white wine
- 700ml hot vegetable stock
- handful grated
Parmesan(or vegetarian alternative) – i used vegetarian cheddar
- 4 tbsp soured cream
handful of dill(i didn’t have any)
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Peel and trim the beetroots (use kitchen gloves if you don’t want your hands to get stained) and cut into large wedges. Place on a large sheet of foil on a baking sheet. Toss with 1 tbsp olive oil, season, then cook for 1 hr until the beets are soft.
2. Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil with the butter in an ovenproof pan with a lid. Tip in the onion and garlic, then cook for 3-5 mins until translucent. Stir in the rice until well coated with the butter and oil. Pour over the white wine, then let the mixture bubble away for 5 mins.
3. Stir well, then pour over the stock. Stir again, cover and place in the oven. Cook for 15 mins until the rice is soft. Remove the beetroots from the oven.
Whizz ¼ of them to make a purée, then chop the remainder beetroot into small pieces (our puree fing is broke). Stir most of the Parmesan Cheddar, the beetroot purée and chopped beetroot through the risotto, then serve with some soured cream dolloped over and the dill and extra Parmesan Cheddar scattered on top.
I served it with a tofu, nut and pumpkin seed salad to get some protein in there.
And to stick with beetroot for desert, we also made this again, Beetroot and chocolate cake. SCRUMMMMMY! Beetroot – i got you your number!
If you like this, you might also like: