- 1 tbsp fine olive oil
- 8 pork sausages of your preferred flavour – we used veggie sausages
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- ½ chilli, chopped or a dried chilli
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 400g tin kidney beans – we used white kidney beans, which come with the skin off
- 2 tsp of fresh oregano or sage, chopped
- Salt & pepper
Heat a touch of oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan and then add the sausages. Colour evenly, then remove from the pan and leave to one side.
Then add the onion and chilli to the same pan and saute until soft, but do not over-colour – if you need to, add a touch more oil so the onions don’t stick.
Return the sausages to the pan and add the tinned tomatoes. Rinse the tin with a little water, add to the stew and simmer for 10-15 minutes until you have a nice thick sauce. Drain and rinse the kidney beans, then add them to the stew, bringing it to the boil to heat the beans through.
Finish with the fresh herbs and serve immediately, or leave until the next day (if it seems too thick, just add a touch of water to thin it out).