Mary Berry’s Chocolate Tray Bake
Mary Berry’s Chocolate Traybake
Due to popular demand here is the recipe for Mary Berry’s Chocolate Tray Bake (from the Mary Berry Ultimate Cake Book). The icing can be difficult to make just because of the amount of icing sugar, so I use my Kitchenaid to mix it for me! Its not greatly seasonal, although a good cupboard sourced cake.
- 4tbsp cocoa
- 4 tbsp hot water
- 225g butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 275g self raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk (or soya milk)
- Blend the cocoa and water and allow to cool slightly. Add the other ingredients and mix. Turn into a lined tin and level the surface. Bake at 180c for 25-35 minutes (until the cake has risen and is springy to the touch)
For the icing (check out the image at the bottom of this post for a half portion of icing):
- 3 tbsp apricot jam (or other jam)
- 150g Plain Chocolate
- 6tbsp water
- 350g icing sugar
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- Warm the apricot jam slightly and brush over the cake
- Melt chocolate in a pan with the water until smooth. Allow to cool slightly and add the sifted icing sugar and oil, stir until smooth. Spread evenly on top of the cake with a palette knife.
UPDATE: I made the cake again with a half portion of icing and just about covered the cake.