- 6oz margarine or butter, softened
- 6oz caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 8oz plan flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon milk
Preheat oven to gas mark 4 / 350F / 180C.
Grease and line a 2lb (900g) loaf tin.
Beat together the fat and sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in the eggs.
Add the caraway seeds, flour, baking powder, salt, almonds and milk and mix carefully so that all the ingredients are evenly distributed. Turn into prepared tin and bake for 45-55 minutes until skewer comes out clean.
Remove from oven and cool in tin.
- The Caraway Seed Is A Spice Worth Meeting (wnyc.org)
- 17th C. Honey Cake (jjasonwhatsinseason.wordpress.com)
- Daphne du Maurier and Her Sisters: The Hidden Lives of Piffy, Bird and Bing, By Jane Dunn (independent.co.uk)
- Are these the 50 most influential books by women? | Robert McCrum (guardian.co.uk)