Wow, what a tasty cake – and really easy too. It’s a basic cake mix with 1 orange, even the syrup didn’t need heating before pouring over the cake (and I resisted prodding the cake with holes). The recipe says prepare 2 x 1lb tins, but I used 1 x 2lb tin.
- 100g softened butter
- 175g self-raising flour (I used light brown)
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons of milk (or soya milk)
- finely grated rind of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 orange
- 100g granulated sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 180c / fan 160c / gas4. Lightly grease and line two 450g/1lb tins
- Measure all cake ingredients into a large bowl and beat well for 2 minutes. Divide mix between the two tins and level the surface
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes (I added another 5 minutes as the cake wasn’t quite springing back)
- While the cakes are baking, make the crunchy topping. Measure the orange juice and sugar into a small bowl and stir to mix. Spread the mix over the baked loaves while they are still hot, then leave to cool completely in the tins.